08-27-09

It’s interesting to see the differences between low and high tides. Corey and I went to the west beach in the morning to see the low tide. It wasn’t very low. I had seen the water out farther before. I’m just learning to read tide tables. Even though we went at low tide it wasn’t a very low tide. Currently the low tide in the day is about 4’. The low tide at night is less than 1’. We either need to go in the middle of the night, or keep following the tide table and wait awhile to see a low, low tide.
The tide was low enough to finally get some muscles off of the rocks. We gathered some in a bag. It’s probably illegal, but there’s virtually no one on the beach except agate hunters and they carry bags and buckets too. If anyone did say anything, protocol is to just play dumb, I’m good at that. No one could see us anyway; it got very foggy very fast. We could barely see down the beach.
We rode our bikes home. It was completely clear and sunny in town less than a mile away.
Andrew looked at the muscles and confirmed that they were the kind he’d eaten earlier. He’s crazy, so I wasn’t sure if I should believe him, but he was still alive. I boiled them and they opened. I was unsure about eating them. Andrew ate one, but said I should have boiled them in sea water and until they opened further. I chewed on one for flavor, but spit it out. It tasted okay. I’ll try it again sometime. It was a successful first experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment