08-23-09

I’ve been in Port Orford long enough now that I’m starting to settle in. I’ve checked out the obvious, “must see” locations. The daily urgency to go see something new has been replaced with contentment and a longing to simply enjoy the time and space here.
I have nothing to do, but I still never seem to find the time to get everything done. The days go by fast. I’m making good progress stripping away years of clutter in my head revealing the basic elements of being; sun, sand, wind, water, music, food. Eventually I’ll move on from here and rebuild on my new, simplified, reprogrammed foundation. It’s hard to do nothing and not feel guilty of being unproductive and falling behind. I have to remind myself that it’s okay; I’m supposed to be doing nothing right now. The uneasy feeling is actually comforting. I’m starting to feel urges to work and work hard. When I’m ready, I’ll come out swinging.
I rode my bike south on the 101. Before I made it out of town I noticed that a fishing boat was approaching the Port of Port Orford. It’s a unique port. All boats are lifted out of the water by crane. I hadn’t witnessed this yet, so I road my bike toward the beach next to the port for a better look. The commercial fishing boat was towing a smaller speed boat. The speed boat was lifted out by crane and set on a trailer, followed by the fishing boat.
The port faces south and is sheltered from the north wind by the Port Orford Heads. In my location the wind was blowing strongly off of the beach into the water. I sat with my back to the wind watching the sand swirl around me and fly into the breaking waves.
I continued south on the 101 with the wind at my back. I’d been riding north lately so I could push into the wind first, then ride home with the wind. The 101 goes inland north of Port Orford. It’s right along the coast line south of town. The view is much better south, but I knew I’d have to face the wind once I turned around. Endurance was the big question on my mind, “how far can I go and still have enough energy to make it back…happy?” I always make it, but sometimes I’m not happy about it. I rode to Humbug Mountain, then turned around and made it home happy.
I walked to the Circle K and bought a 6 pack of beer, India Pale Ale from Washington. I didn’t realize the significance of the moment until I was walking home. I had just bought beer in a gas station…on a Sunday. No big deal for a lot of people, but very special for a Minnesota boy.
As I sat in the bus and it rocked in the wind I realized that I’m not only used to my home swaying in the wind, it now seems normal. It’s comforting…mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment