08-12-09

It had rained in the night. It was still drizzly and foggy when I woke up. Locals say it hasn’t rained in awhile so this is welcome. I’m starting to think I control the rain by leaving my bike outside. I dried it off and covered it with a towel.
It spent a cozy morning tinkering with things indoors and enjoying coffee.
The sun broke through the clouds and Corey and I went for a bike ride to the Port Orford Heads, just ¾ of a mile away. The headlands are high rocky cliffs surrounded by the ocean on three sides. I knew it was up hill, but was surprised how big of a climb it was.
There are tsunami evacuation routs all along the coast that lead up into the cascade mountain range, away from the ocean. The heads are a unique tsunami evacuation route toward the ocean. I would be skeptical fleeing toward the ocean to get away from a tsunami, but I guess I would trust that the heads are tall enough. After the ride up I’m all to familiar with their height.
The historical Port Orford Lifeguard Station and Museum are on top of the hill. There are trails that lead to spectacular views of the ocean and coast. We rode our bikes along a lush green rolling, hilly trail on top of the heads. The blue ocean glistened far below. The beach went on as far as the eye could see in both directions. Crashing waves, seagulls and sea lions filled our ears. Far down below was a big rock out in the ocean with dozens of sea lions barking and warming in the sun. We got off our bikes and hiked around. There are established trails, but you are free to explore anywhere at your own risk. Some of the drop-offs are life threatening. I actually left my bike helmet on sometimes for fear I was going to fall.
It is one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen, a fairy tail setting.
We spent a great deal of time exploring and got a good work out too.
Back at home I took a little nap, then walked downtown to get some fish tacos at a little roadside shack. I couldn’t stop thinking about them after I saw the “Fish Tacos $7” sign the day before. They were pretty good. I walked a few blocks farther and got some wine at the grocery store.
Corey and I hung out in the bus for awhile, then he went home.
I woke up when Corey called me. It was 9:36. I couldn’t believe I had slept in so late…it was still dark…wait…it was 9:36PM, not AM. That made more sense.
I guess the all the fresh air…and perhaps the wine knocked me out early.

No comments:

Post a Comment