08-10-09

Monday in Port Orford, time to get to work in trade for the rent.
The park has several small travel trailers that are rented out. Several are open and we’re getting them ready and looking for renters. It’s more of a trailer park than an RV park, meaning that the people generally live here instead of vacationing here.
For some it’s temporary housing as they work in the area, or are in the process of relocating. For most its cheap housing. If someone is renting a camper as their primary home, needless to say they’re probably on the lower end of the income bracket. The previous renters, and management, were not too keen on cleanliness. The dirty trailers were borderline overwhelming and rather scary. I cleaned one trailer and was surprised that it only took several hours. While cleaning I realized that I hadn’t worked since Christmas Eve. Several times I caught myself wondering “how did I get here?“ From small town celebrity to cleaning mystery goo out of low income housing. It was humbling. I felt more connected to real humanity than I had in a long time. I felt sort of proud, like I was doing work that actually made a difference on a street level. I cleaned the trailer like it was my home, like I was moving into it. I tried to do the best I could. Everyone deserves a clean home. “If I can get rid of the grossness then they won’t even know it was ever here”, I thought. It certainly wasn’t a palace, but it was much more pleasant when I was done. It was good to feel the satisfaction of an honest days work…especially after only a few hours. I was now free to enjoy my day on the coast.
I gave up on my leveling jacks. I retracted them and hobo leveled the bus with boards under the left rear tires. It’s sitting almost perfectly level and without the stabilization of the jacks I get rocked to sleep by the ocean breezes.
Since I’m on city water I drained my fresh water holding tank and gave the other tanks a good rinsing. Then it was time for me. My shower works great here. This is the best water pressure I’ve had, plus while on city water I don’t have the back and forth hot and cold torture shower.
I grilled some brats in my 5’ x 35’ yard and made some baked beans Kentucky Fried Chicken style. Yellow mustard, BBQ sauce and drop of liquid smoke. They use sugar too, but I left that out. I think I’m allowed to share that information. It’s not off limits like the secret eleven herbs and spices is it?

1 comment:

  1. ..."From small town celebrity to clearnig mystery goo... I LOVE THAT SENTENCE :) Keep writing dude. I love reading it

    ReplyDelete