09-25-09

I started using my Rosetta Stone Spanish computer program. I’d had it for awhile but hadn’t gotten around to using it. With the possibility of moving to the Mexican border I’m eager to start learning the language. I also have a Spanish pod-cast to use.
After Spanish Class I went for a bike ride down the coast. My plan; go 10 miles and turn around to make a 20 mile round trip ride. I cranked out 10 miles. It was hot and I was sweaty, but I felt like I had just started, so I upped the trip to 30 miles by going another 5 before turning around.
I passed two long-distance riders. Not that I’m faster, they’re laden down with a load and have to ride a lot farther than me. I passed a hitch hiker and another bike rider. The Pacific Coast Highway is a long distance bicyclist Mecca and there is a constant stream of hitchhikers too.
I stopped for a break at the Prehistoric Gardens, a place I remember being at as a child and a young man. The two riders I’d passed caught up to me. I took advantage of the opportunity to ask them all sorts of logistical curiosities. They were riding from Washington to San Diego, not sure when they’ll get there, riding about 50 miles a day and sleeping in state parks for $4.
At the 13 mile mark I came across the entrance to the trail that Corey and I had driven my Jeep down on Wednesday. I rode over to it and kept riding up until I couldn’t pedal. I was halfway up. It only made sense to me to keep going. I would be able to ride my bike down an old detached part of the original Pacific Coast Highway, but I would be committed to riding even further.
The curvy mountain grade was not only worth it, it was one of the best bike rides I’d had.
I was at 17 miles when I got back on the main 101 and headed back north.
It was a long hall. There are two different hills that are each a mile long and a bunch of smaller hills in-between. As I got closer I knew the hills and was able to manage my energy better. I had to ration out my water. I didn’t plan on going that far, nor did I plan on the heat.
I live right on mile marker 301. It makes it easy to know exactly how far home is. Sometimes I call out, “5 more miles!” It was a 33.5 mile trip. I make sure to count the half mile…that was the hardest part.


No comments:

Post a Comment