09-02-09

Over the years I’ve refined, perfected and honed my coffee procedure. I can make myself a world class cup of coffee in 4 minutes. Lately I feel like I’m brewing coffee all morning. Both Trinity and I love having coffee two or three…or maybe even four times a day. My French press is a much simpler machine than a drip pot and the coffee is far superior, but it only makes about 2 cups so it’s hard to keep up. By the time coffee is ready it’s time to start brewing more. Corey is on board with the French press too. I’m more than happy to make coffee for everyone, so when I overheard him ask Rita outside, “Do you want some coffee?” I just chuckled and started heating more water. “I’ll take it with cream” she said. I was able to count it as trailer park work, so I guess I’m a professional barista.
There is a locally run charitable organization called Common Good in Port Orford. Many of the people that live in the park rave about it. People donate clothing and food and people in need can get things for free. I’ve spent a great deal of time on the volunteer side, but have never had to use charity to survive. Technically I qualify for these services. I don’t need them and feel guilty using them, but my journey is about learning how others live, so just once I’d go through the procedure. It was an odd mix of emotions. I felt bad to be in a hand-out line. I felt undeserving since I had chosen to do this with my life. I felt guilty that I considered myself somehow better than these people. I was happy to get food. They gave us a lot. It is very helpful and I am appreciative. I didn’t think I’d take anything other than food. As a minimalist I don’t want things and already have all of the things that I need. I did find a jacket I’m guessing from the 70’s that seemed brand new. It fit perfectly so I brought it home. It was a good field trip that supplied me with a wealth of knowledge, understanding and mystery food.
Rita, my new next door neighbor met her internet boyfriend for the first time at her trailer. While outside I over heard him talking. He has an electronic voice box. It was an interesting mix of audio with the rooster crowing in the distance. As I was rushing inside to tell trinity about the electric man I heard what he was saying to Rita. “Everywhere I go I hear people laughing behind my back”. I felt horrible and was horrified to realize that I was on of the assholes. I tried my best to empathize with his situation and realized how frustrating it must be. It was a day of humbling experiences, contemplation and thankfulness for what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment