09-09-09

After riding around Humbug Mountain yesterday I wanted to hike the trail to it’s summit. The trial is a loop, about 3 miles up and about 3 miles down. Corey, Trinity, Sebastian and I drove to the mountain, then began the hike. Switch-backs back and forth, the trail ascended constantly. Corey turned back, Trinity, Sebastian and I continued on. Towards the top of the mountain Trinity seemed to want to turn back, but I coaxed her to keep moving. Sebastian, who is 63 in dog years, was full of energy. He’d run far ahead on the trail, then back to us, then back up the trail. He must have gone three times the distance we did. The forest was thick, with occasional views through the trees of the ocean. I could see Port Orford miles up the coast, with Cape Blanco in the distance miles beyond it. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the summit. The decent was a bit quicker, about an hour. It was a good work out, but we were glad to get to the bottom.
I grilled lemon pepper pork chops with mashed sweet potatoes and wild long rice. We ate big, guilt free and justified after our hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment