07-15-09


I got up for awhile in the middle of the night to see what it was like on the mountain. It was cold, 50 degrees, much different from the heat that I had experienced everywhere since I left had home. It was quiet. There was no noise except for the river flowing heavily down the mountain. It was dark. Small lights I hadn’t really noticed before guided my way through the bus. A tiny red light for the water pump, a green light on the refrigerator and another little green light on the carbon monoxide detector where the only glimpses of light inside. Outside there were no lights what so ever. The moon lit the mountains and valley and cast shadows in the trees. If it weren’t for the moon it would have been completely black.
The next morning the sun climbed over the mountain horizon and shone brightly into the valley. The temperature warmed quickly to a very pleasant mid 60s. I grabbed my camera and went for a hike. There is a trail head climbing up right by my campsite. I took it and found many interesting rocks and wild flowers. I climbed up to the highest point in the area. It was indescribably beautiful. Mountains towered above in all directions. Far off in the distance I saw a snow capped mountain. I took many pictures and soaked in the moment.
In the afternoon I went to check out Red Lodge. It is a nice little town. A former mining town that had a very diverse population from all over the world even at it’s early beginnings. Now it is a destination for travelers looking for all sorts of different types of recreation. This weekend is Beartooth Rally, a big biker festival.
The main street is lined with small shops in historic buildings. There are many gift shops, restaurants and taverns.
I found a grocery store and picked up some supplies. Most importantly; chicken wings, potatoes and some Hefeweizen beer locally brewed by Red Lodge Ales. I was hungry and felt like cooking over a fire.
Before I left Red Lodge and my phone signal behind I wanted to check in with Trinity, who at last checked was in Minnesota. She wouldn’t pick up, or answer texts. I sat on the edge of town and my signal while my raw chicken wings heated up. Usually she picked up right away, so I was a bit worried. I couldn’t head back up the mountain not knowing how she was.
Finally she picked up and shouted, “I locked my keys in my car and AAA just got me in”. I was relieved and we had a good laugh. Apparently she could hear her phone beeping from outside the car.
Relieved, I went home, cooked my wings to God like perfection and enjoyed the fire.
I drove back in toward town to check on Trinity one last time before going to bed.
While I was out of range her car had broken down in Worthington Minnesotan. The serpentine belt was bad. She for the second time that day called AAA. They towed her car to a garage to get it fixed. She had driven from Akron, Ohio to Worthington, Minnesota, an amazing accomplishment and it was time to get some sleep. I tried to help her find a motel room on my laptop. Some motels were full, others don’t take pets. It was looking grim, but she found a room. Relieved, again, I drove up the mountain and went to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Wings that are "God-like perfection" is a great sentence! But the rest of this is even better. I feel like I'm almost along for the beautiful serene, Zen ride. Keep us posted. And feel free to hand out my email at the Beartooth Rally! To guys. Haha. Glad Trinity is ok. She's getting there as fast as she can!

    ReplyDelete