10-05-09

I still wasn’t sure if I was allowed to drive the bus over Hoover Dam, but I headed there anyway. Even if I couldn’t drive over it I still wanted to check it out.
On the way signs said, “No Trucks, or Busses on Hoover Dam”. The internet said RVs were okay, but there is a big construction project going on, they’re building a bridge next to the dam. The internet information could be out dated.
When I got to the dam I found that I indeed would be able to drive across. I had to go through a security check point. They are looking for explosives. If someone were to detonate something on the dam it could be catastrophic. Busses with luggage are not allowed to cross, busses without luggage are. I enjoyed the inspection as I had nothing to hide. The officer did ask me, “What’s up with the toenails”. I gave him the standard, “a girl made me do it” response which seems to get me out of trouble. In Yosemite, Rattle Snake Jack told of when he had woken up with painted nails and make-up on from his granddaughters. Apparently my excuse was acceptable and my toenails posed no threat to national security.
The dam was packed with tourists, but everyone was excited and happy to be there. I drove across, then parked and walked back across to check it out on foot.
After Hoover Dam I hauled ass across Arizona. After several thousand miles of curves and hills, the long straight flat road was relaxing. I had the bus rolling at 80mph most of the time.
I got to the Grand Canyon as the sun was setting. I was very tired and opted to pay and stay at a commercial campground for the first time. It was $37, but I got electrical and water hook-ups and didn’t have to worry about being woken up in the middle of the night and asked to leave.
I hoped out of the bus, barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt. It was surprisingly cold. I checked my thermometer and it said 40. I was at about 6000’ elevation. The campground host said, “it’ll be getting’ down in the 20s tonight“. I plugged in the bus, turned on the furnace and walked to a touristy, western themed restaurant to get a pizza.
Eating alone can be depressing, especially when you’re surrounded by groups of people and couples laughing and sharing their travels. I had a faint cell signal, so I text some friends back home while I waited for my food. No one was returning my texts. Then my sister did. She was at a football party. I knew the Vikings were playing the Packers on Monday Night Football tomorrow…right? It was then that I realized that it was Monday, not Sunday like I had thought. No wonder no one from Minnesota was texting me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment